Thousands of courses for $10 728x90

الاثنين، 26 يونيو 2017

Pride at Any Price: 11 People Who Rocked DIY Fashion at Pride Celebration

June is Pride Month, when many cities across the world hold Pride parades to remember the Stonewall Riots that happened in New York City in June 1969.

In St. Petersburg, Florida, this year’s three-day Pride celebration included a parade, transgender march and festival. The parade attracted 30,000 to the city’s downtown, where people showed off their best glittery and fabulous versions of themselves.

We talked to some attendees who rocked their Pride outfits — while sticking to a budget. Here’s what they had to say.

1. Lance McAllister, 13, of Largo, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Six dollars for the flag and shirt.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

There’s this YouTuber named Miles McKenna, and there was this video where he said, “I’m trans, and you’re gonna catch these hands.” It really stuck with me. I’m a very humorous person. I’m not very serious. Even with this topic, I like to make light of it instead of saying, “This is so frustrating for me, and I don’t like being like this.”

Where did you buy your outfit?

EBay.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

Two years. It’s really amazing.

What does Pride represent to you?

It means being yourself and loving it.

2. Tyler Smith, 19, of Boca Raton, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Eighteen dollars.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

I wanted to keep it chic. The male romper is definitely in, so I kind of wanted to go with that. I don’t have money for the male romper yet, so I stuck with my overalls from Forever 21. I got the overalls just from seeing other girls wear them. I wanted to be bold and courageous since I don’t know anyone here. Why not do a crop top because you don’t really see guys wearing crop tops too often.

Where did you buy your outfit?

I got my overalls from Forever 21. I have my bright pink socks with palm trees from Old Navy. Then I got this shirt from Forever 21, as well. I Googled “how to make a crop top.” It didn’t really work out, so I just cut it, washed it, rolled up, sewed up the sleeves to make it nice and pretty. The hat I got from Hot Topic.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

This is actually my first year. I absolutely love it. I’ve never felt more welcomed by everyone.

What does Pride represent to you?

It’s gonna sound cliche. It’s going to represent freedom for me because I come from a household… in Texas where being gay wasn’t the best thing in the world. The fact that my mom doesn’t even know I’m here is kind of upsetting, but at the same time, I feel so liberated from everything else in the world. I don’t have to think about, “Oh, what’s going on at school?” or “Oh, what’s going on at home or work?” or anything. It’s just I’m here, and I’m in the moment.

3. Haley, 19, of Seminole, Florida

Pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Maybe $35.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

I identify as pansexual, so I went with the pan colors. The pink, yellow and blue is what the flag is, so that’s where I got the inspiration for my top, tutu, shoes and even my earrings.

Where did you buy your outfit?

I got all of the flowers at the Dollar Tree. I got the tulle from Walmart, and I think it was on sale.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

This is my third year.

What does Pride represent to you?

Really just my sexuality. I’ve been feeling more confident about myself lately, so I might as well dress up and go all out. Pansexual is when essentially you’re attracted to all genders. You don’t see a barrier. It’s essentially the same as bisexual, but bisexual is just two genders, and pansexual is everyone.

4. Abby White, 16, of Orlando, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Twenty-five dollars for my hat, flag and shorts.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

Gay pride in America. It’s freedom.

Where did you buy your outfit?

The Altamonte Mall.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

This is my first year. I like it so far.

What does Pride represent to you?

Love.

5. Amber Bernardino, 35, left, and Tiziana Bernardino, 41, of Bradenton, Florida

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Tiziana Bernardino: Fifteen all together.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

Amber Bernardino: It’s just kind of an idea that popped up into our heads.

Where did you buy your outfit?

Tiziana Bernardino: The Dollar Tree.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

Amber Bernardino: It was her first Pride, and I’ve always been to Pride. She’s working on the whole free thing. I’ve been going since I was like 20 in Denver, Colorado.

What does Pride represent to you?

Tizana Bernardino: Freedom.

Amber Bernardino: Love and freedom.

 6. Justin DeGraffenried, 26, of St. Petersburg, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Probably $40 for the fabric and labor putting it together.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

It started a few good years back at a toga party. Someone said I looked like Jesus, and I went with it. I got a couple robes made, and I’ve been doing it ever since.

Where did you buy your outfit?

I had a friend hand-make it for me.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

At least four years.

What does Pride represent to you?

A celebration of love.

7. From left, Sister Didi DayTripper, 25, of Largo, Florida; Agatha Frisky, 41, of Tampa, Florida; and Monica M. Diver, 45, of St. Petersburg, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Agatha Frisky: This was thrift, so I couldn’t even tell you. The shoes were $45.

Sister DiDi DayTripper: We usually go to the thrift stores, so under $10.

Monica M. Diver: Well this was leftovers. I got the corset at the thrift store for like $5. Then I had extra fabric, so I put the fabric over it. The skirt I got at a thrift store a few years ago for $10.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

Agatha Frisky: We just decorated for Pride colors. I was working with the rainbow. (Pointing to Sister DiDi DayTripper): This one just wanted to look cute.

Where did you buy your outfit?

Monica M. Diver: Thrift stores.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

Agatha Frisky: Eleven years.

Monica M. Diver: Eleven years.

Sister DiDi DayTripper: Seven years.

What does Pride represent to you?

Agatha Frisky: Hopefully progress.

Sister Didi DayTripper: Unity.

8. Janelle Ferber, 23, Spring Hill, Florida

pride outfits

How much money did you spend on your outfit?

Not much. Maybe all together $10 to $15.

What influenced or inspired your outfit?

I went with tribal. Something edgy. I just like to be different. Everyone is doing rainbows, so I went with skulls.

Where did you buy your outfit?

Online and Goodwill.

How many years have you been coming to Pride?

Two years.

What does Pride represent to you?

Pride represents equality. Being one with everybody. It doesn’t matter if you are LGBT or not. It’s about being proud of who you are on the inside. You are a person. It’s about being together and being one.

Tina Russell (Instagram @trussell2522) is a photographer at The Penny Hoarder. She’s happy to bring herself and her camera back home to Florida after living in the frozen tundra of Central New York for four-and-a-half years.

This was originally published on The Penny Hoarder, one of the largest personal finance websites. We help millions of readers worldwide earn and save money by sharing unique job opportunities, personal stories, freebies and more. In 2016, Inc. 500 ranked The Penny Hoarder as the No. 1 fastest-growing private media company in the U.S.



source The Penny Hoarder http://ift.tt/2sU5mRG

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق