Thousands of courses for $10 728x90

الاثنين، 3 سبتمبر 2018

Check statements to ensure you don’t pay out needlessly

Aviva statement

Moneywise helps a reader making needless payments.

In December 2016, I tried to call and email Aviva to cancel two policies. I couldn’t get through on the phone and couldn’t find an email on the website, so I contacted it through its website contact form. Unfortunately, I did not get any record of it receiving my cancellation. Nor did I cancel the direct debits.

Aviva continued taking money from my account until May 2018, which added up to more than £600. When I realised, I immediately cancelled the direct debits.

I submitted a complaint with Aviva, but heard nothing. I recently emailed Aviva again, and as soon as I mentioned reporting it to the Financial Ombudsman Service I received a reply. It also sent me a cheque for £50 as an apology for having to wait so long for anyone to respond to my complaint.

My question is: if I cash in the £50 cheque, will it have a negative effect on the current investigation with the Financial Ombudsman Service?

KH/London

That’s an interesting question. The answer should be simple: a goodwill payment – which is what this was – should have no impact on any complaint you’re making. However, I would always advise people to check, as some firms have been known to offer money in ‘full and final’ payment, and if you have a valid claim you should never accept less.

The good news for you is that after further investigating your case, Aviva agreed that you intended to cancel both policies. It refunded all your premiums, and added interest, to hand you £683.27.

On top of that, it gave you a further £100 “for the trouble and upset we have caused you”, to bring the total goodwill payment to £150.

I think this is an excellent result, and good for Aviva for reacting positively, after it initially failed to respond in a timely and efficient manner when you first made contact.

But I will take you to task for failing to notice all that extra cash going out of your account every month. I’d advise all readers to check their bank statement regularly – at least every month – to ensure that there aren’t any rogue payments.

OUTCOME: Reader gets £683.27 refund, plus £150 goodwill payment

 

Section

Free Tag

Related stories

Twitter



Source Moneywise https://ift.tt/2oCavME

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق